Our newly refurbished Learning Resource Centre (LRC) & Library has now been open to ALL students since September 2012 and we wanted to inform you of all the area has to offer:-
- Open every break time 11.10am to 11.30am with scheduled day for each year:
Year 7 – Thursday Break, Year 8 – Friday Break, Year 9 – Monday Break, Year 10 – Tuesday Break and Year 11 – Wednesday Break.
- Open every lunch time 12.30pm to 1.20pm with scheduled day for each year:-
Year 7 – Monday and Friday Craft Club at Lunch
Year 8 – Tuesday Lunch
Year 9 – Wednesday Lunch
Year 10 & 11 – Thursday Lunch.
- Open every day After School from 3.20pm to 4.00pm – All Years. Full Maghull High School Library News on the School VLE with all forthcoming events and a link to Accelerated Reading (in Orange).
- We have IT facilities and pupils can print out (black and white) free of charge.
- We have a fully refurbished library facilities with Accelerated Reading Scheme books for all Year 7, 8 and 9. Class and higher level for older readers.
- Current Year 7 and 8 pupils have all been enrolled on the Accelerated Reading Programme. See information documents for parents and link to Accelerated Reader https://ukhosted16.renlearn.co.uk/1893720/Homeconnect
- Home Connect Letters went out to all Year 7and 8 parents recently. This includes information on how parents can log into the site and view all the books their child has read and look at their results. Also a diagnostic report to show how parents can help and promote reading at home see link to “Guide to Help Parents Understand Accelerated Reader”.
- We have also set up Paired Reading with Sixth Form pupils. A number of Year 7, 8 & 9 pupils will be assisted by the Sixth Form paired readers to encourage and help support them with reading in school. This has proved really worthwhile and we are getting fabulous results.
- Reading homework has now been set so please check your child’s planner (green sheet) to see how they are progressing.
- Team Challenge for AR reader. We have Tutor of the Month table for the most words read each month for Year’s 7 and 8.
- Revision guide section of classic books for upper years such as Animal Farm, Of Mice and Men etc.
- Thousands of best selling books and graphic novels for all years to loan or pre-order. • All Years can loan books (28 days) at no cost to pupils using their dinner cards. However small fees may be necessary if “Overdue Notices” are ignored.
- School Scholastic Book Fair each November in school which gives pupils the chance to help run the book fair as an enterprise scheme and promotes reading for pleasure with great buys at the book fair. This year’s book fair is from Monday 10th November to Friday 14th November 2014 inclusive (see separate section for more detail). • Donate a book scheme runs each January/February. This has proved a huge success and thanks to all those pupils and staff that kindly donated books!
- DVD and CD hire at a cost of £2.00 per week now available. • Magazine and game areas for pupils to use in the quiet seating areas in the library also.
- Friday Craft Club – Each Friday lunchtime a group of helpers run a Craft Club each term in the Library. All lower school pupils welcome. We will be doing different crafts each term.
- Year 7 Book Buzz. This is a new scheme whereby the pupils have been given a FREE book of their choice to read in class and then follow up with a book review and questionnaire. Again promoting reading for pleasure across the curriculum.
- Author Book signing events recently we have had Joseph Delaney and Charlie Higson event trips. These are great opportunity for the pupils to meet and greet authors, ask questions and purchased signed books from the author.
- C2C Book Leaflets termly. We run a book club whereby all pupils can see and purchase the latest books at “discounted” prices. Please order through Mrs Christian in the Library.
- Since we have been open we have had large number of pupils using the facilities each day and it is a well used resource, however some rules have had to be made to protect the equipment and we would kindly remind everyone using these as follows:-
1) NO Food or Drink to be consumed in the LRC at breaks and lunches (have your food in the canteen beforehand).
2) All books loaned to be returned by the specific date (otherwise small fines will be incurred if “overdue notice ignored”).
3) All areas and staff to be respected and any broken equipment to be reported immediately to Mrs Christian (LRC supervisor).
4) All students to sign in on arrival (for Health & Safety reasons). ￼
World Book Day Activities.
As part of World Book Day we have a number of activities for the pupils to join in with. The first was a Quiz to Guess the Teacher Behind the Book competition which they all really enjoyed. We had 3 winners who got 9 out of 10 correct!
Have a look yourself and see if you could guess all 10!!
See attached file.
We also had a group come in to perform Poetry Workshops, Writing Workshops and Fun Book Game Quizzes. Two groups of pupils did these workshops in the morning of World Book Day and we got excellent feedback from the pupils ￼regarding these quizzes. Each group’s work was then written up and an example is as follows:-
See scanned in document.
We gave out the World Book Day vouchers and had a really great response. We later did a trip to Formby Book Shop to spend our vouchers (see separate section).
See link for other ideas of World Book Day www.worldbookday.com We managed to use our vouchers to purchase a number of the FREE World Book Day books for the library also!