Teachers at Maghull High School set homework in line with the school’s policy and as appropriate for the age and stage of pupils. Teachers endeavour to set homework that consolidates learning and prepares pupils well for work to come.
Why we set homework
• To develop the skill of independent learning
• To prepare for forthcoming lessons – Flipped Learning
• To consolidate learning in class
• To practice skills – learning by doing
• To develop self-discipline and time management skills
• To research an area of interest
• To give opportunity to develop the partnership of pupil/parent/teacher
• To do work which is not suited to the classroom situation
How homework is set
Maghull High School uses a digital platform called Firefly. Teachers in all subjects and year groups set and record homework using Firefly. Pupils and parents can check the homework set using both the Firefly dashboard and the associated app. Some teachers will require the pupils to submit work in an electronic format. Feedback on homework may also be given using this platform. Pupils are able to confirm the completion of homework by submitting a response on Firefly. Pupils are also expected to record homework in their planner.
Help with homework
If homework tasks are not understood by students, they should find their subject teacher, before the day when the homework is due for completion, and ask for help. Many resources that may be applicable to the homework set can be found on Firefly.