Teachers at Maghull High School set homework in line with the school’s policy and as appropriate for the age and stage of students. Teachers endeavour to set homework that consolidates learning and prepares students well for work to come.
Why we set homework
- To develop the skill of independent learning
- To prepare for forthcoming lessons – Flipped Learning
- To consolidate learning in class
- To practice skills – learning by doing
- To develop self-discipline and time management skills
- To research an area of interest
- To give opportunity to develop the partnership of student/parent/teacher
- To do work which is not suited to the classroom situation
How homework is set
Homework is set weekly, with some subjects using a mixture of online platforms such as Dr Frost Maths, Educake Science and Duolingo Spanish. Department pages within the Office 365 Sharepoint platform enable students to recap lesson resources and source homework, using their student planner to record the homework. If the homework is completed on an online platform, it is submitted virtually and feedback is provided via the platform. Homework may also be set in a paper-based format which students also record in planners
Help with Homework
If homework tasks are not understood by students, they should find their subject teacher, before the day when the homework is due for completion, and ask for help. Students are encouraged to email their teachers directly for support if they are unable to speak to them directly. Parents are also encouraged to either write to the teacher via the student homework planner or via email.